Tuesday 3 February 2009

Bounced back

Yesterday, my betfair balance took a bit of a battering. I had decided that tonight, I would be very cautious with my bets, particularly the size of my stakes. I traded the Ajax v Heracles match using £15 stakes. All was going well until I was caught out by a 12th minute goal just before my lay bet got matched.

As you may know, after a goal is scored and the match un-suspends, the odds can jump up and down quite erratically. I managed to take advantage of this by backing high and laying quite a few ticks lower using £30 stakes. I felt confident enough to use this size stake as I knew the market would settle down after a minute or so. I just hoped there wasn't another goal straight away.

After a second goal was scored after 30 minutes, I did the same again, backing for £30 @ 17.5 and getting my lay bet matched about a minute later @ 15.0.

I managed to reduce my £2.50 loss to £1.35 on the under 2.5 goals market. Knowing that another goal would close the market, I moved onto the under 4.5 goals market.

Again, I used the period after a goal to take advantage of the price swings and, together with a bit of luck, I ended up making £11.73. Taking away my loss from the 2.5 goals market meant my profit for today was £10.38, or a increase of 20.43%. Very pleased!

This is my betfair P&L.


I'm back above the £60 mark again, so my 3% target for next time is £1.84.

This just shows that a bad loss isn't the end of the world. You just have to take it on the chin and realise that you will have losing days. As long as you protect your bank and reduce your losses, the winning days will wipe out the loss and have you back in profit.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: