Monday 2 February 2009

Early goals...GRRRRR!!!

I didn't trade yesterday, and with the race meetings off and a lot of the football postponed too, I was going to give it a miss tonight too. I should have done!

I picked out 3 matches tonight to trade the under 2.5 goals markets.

In the first one, Kaiserslauten v Mainz, I was caught out by a 6th minute goal. I hedged to equalise my loss to £7 on either result.

In the second match, Boulogne v Montpellier, a 3rd minute goal had me in the red for £19.

Surely I'd have better luck in the third game??? Not much better

A 6th minute goal in the Mantova v Livorno came, luckily after I had hedged for a 37p profit.

I was looking at a loss of over £25 and had to do something to reduce it. I ended up scalping my £7 loss on the Kaiserslauten game and reduced it to £5.74.

I also traded on the under 3.5 and 4.5 goals markets, reducing my loss even further.

Altogether, my loss for tonight was £13.73, which was a 21.27% loss. Ouch!

Looking on the bright side, it could have been a lot worse, and I thought I handled the early goals well. I could have panicked and made rash decisions but I kept my cool and took the losses. I then traded carefully to reduce my loss from a possible 38.72% of my bank to a more manageable loss of just over 21%.

Below is my betfair P&L screenshot.


The lesson I learned today is, I have been using too big a percentage of my bank to trade with. It worked for a bit and meant I needed less ticks to acheive my target for the day, but an early goal put me well in the red.

My betfair bank now stands at £50.82, so my next 3% target is £1.52.

2 comments:

Brian McGregor said...

I admire your discipline, and hope it works out for you.

Bet Angel Basics

Chris said...

Thanks for your comment. My bank has taken a few knocks but I've always recovered. It might take a week but I get there in the end.